Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Blackberry Pie to Welcome Fall.

Fall is the best for many reasons, including, but not limited to:
1. You don't have to sit around in a pool of your own sweat.
2. Sweaters.
3. Pumpkin everything.
4. It's pie season.

Blackberry Pie

Pie might just be my favorite dessert genre (yes mom, this is a recent development), and it is finally just getting cold enough to justify using the oven. Not that I didn't use it before, we just suffered through it. 

Now that I'm in Kansas one thing that I miss about Oregon is the availability of berries. I used to hate raspberries because I had to pick too many of them as a child... the things you take for granted! I would love to have too many raspberries now. 

Anyways, I don't know why I bought these cans of blackberries a while back, but I did, and they were sitting in the cupboard eagerly awaiting the pie making days of fall. Maybe I was planning ahead, who knows. 
I made a blackberry pie, and you should too. Because, yum.

For the crust:
14 whole graham crackers (not those little half crackers)
7 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup brown sugar

For the filling:
2 cans Oregon Blackberries
3 Tbsp cornstarch
6 Tbsp sugar

Crush your graham crackers either in a food processor or with your own fists, then mix in brown sugar. Melt butter and combine. Press into pie pan. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes.
Save the syrup from one of the cans of berries, and heat on medium in a saucepan, with the cornstarch and 3 Tbsp sugar until it starts to thicken. Remove from the heat and add the drained berries and the rest of the sugar. Pour into prepared crust, and bake at 400° for about 20 minutes. My crust got a little dark, so keep an eye on it.
Once done baking let it cool for a bit so that the filling sets. I was a little over eager in slicing mine and it became a little cobbler-esque.

Happy pie season!
-Erin
Make these indigo tea towels!
Follow on Bloglovin

1 comments:

Lisa said...

GAH! YUM!

I love berries so much! We used to be able to pick them all the time at the cabin, but unfortunately they are dying off. Hmph.

xo Lisa | Making Life's Lemons

Post a Comment