Thursday, January 17, 2013

eggs benedict with state pride biscuits

So, remember when we made biscuits in the shape of your favorite state? Well, the same cookbook, Homemade, that I adapted the recipe for those biscuits from has a pretty rocking Eggs Benedict recipe as well. I had never made Hollandaise sauce before, and this was also my first time poaching eggs, so I felt pretty accomplished! You can make this and put it on English muffins and it would be delicious I'm sure, but if you're feeling ambitious I would suggest making your own biscuits. It puts it right up to that next level.

The main thing you are going to have to do for this recipe is make the sauce.
You will need: 
2 egg yolks
2 T water
2 T white wine vinegar or lemon juice
2 sticks (1 cup) of butter, cut into small pats

Yvette Van Boven gave very good instructions on making the sauce, so I will quote them directly from the recipe:
"Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Beat the egg yolks with the 2 tbsp of water and vinegar in a metal bowl that fits into this large pot, but doesn't touch the water (in other words a double boiler). Using a whisk or hand blender begin to beat the eggs. Never stop whisking, as the eggs will set on the bottom of the bowl and you will have to start again. Lower the heat and allow the water to simmer.
"After a few minutes the egg mixture will thicken considerably into a firm foam (after beating for 5 to 10 minutes). While whisking, add butter pats, one by one. Only add the next pat of butter when the previous one has melted. It sounds like quite a fuss, but you will become quicker and it gets easier. A mayonnaise-like sauce should be the result. If it is too thick, you can dilute it by adding a few drops of hot water.
"remove the bowl from the pan, cover with a lid or plate, and proceed to poach the eggs."

So you have sauce. Poach however many eggs you and your friends plan on eating, and if you aren't familiar with poaching eggs, here is a good guide by Smitten Kitchen. While everything is still warm and your biscuits are fresh out of the over, butter a biscuit, put an egg on each half, and slather it with sauce. I sprinkled them with salt, pepper, and paprika. Enjoy!
I'm a vegetarian, and I was doing the cooking so I chose not to use ham, or smoked salmon as the recipe suggests. You could easily replace this with something else though - I thought tempeh would be good but I was getting hungry and impatient. Maybe next time! Let us know what works well for you.

-e

0 comments:

Post a Comment