Friday, January 11, 2013

Home State Pride Biscuits

One of my Christmas gifts from my lovely parents was an Oregon shaped cookie cutter. My sister has lived in Texas for a few years now, and coming from Oregon she has decided that Oregonians have nearly as much state pride as Texans. I would agree. We love Oregon. But you can love your state too, by getting yourself a state shaped cookie cutter! Or you can just use any other cookie cutter, or just make normal circular biscuits. I based the recipe off of a biscuit recipe in Homemade. Turns out, biscuits are pretty easy.
You need:

3 cups flour ( I used whole wheat )
2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 stick cold butter, cubed (1/2 cup)
2 Tbsp honey
3/4 cups milk

Preheat your oven to 400°, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine the flour, baking powder, pepper, and salt in a large bowl, then cut in the butter, using either a food processor or your own muscles and a fork. I did the latter and it worked just fine - no need for fancy technology! You want it to be a course grain.

In a separate bowl, combine the milk and honey, then mix it all together into a dough. You may need to add a splash more of milk. Once you have the dough in a ball, flour your counter and roll it out about 3/4 inch thick. Now you get to cut out your biscuits! Line them up on your parchment paper, brush a little milk over the tops, and pop those little biscuits in the oven for about 12-15 minutes, until they're nice and golden brown.

They're delicious slathered with some butter, or even my new found love, some coconut oil (I dare you to try it!).
Stay tuned for a delicious way to serve these biscuits!

0 comments:

Post a Comment